1. Can I donate a car that hasn't run in years?
Yes. Most car donations are accepted (running or not), exceptions include older cars whose value would not offset the cost of towing. Call us or fill out and send in the vehicle donation form to find out if we can accept your car donation.
2. What can I donate?
We accept car, RVs, boats, trailers, motorcycle, jet ski, bus and snowmobiles donations.
3. How much will I receive as a tax deduction* for my used car?
The IRS allows you to claim a tax deduction of:
a) The value of your vehicle up to $500 - the donor determines the fair market value.
b) The amount we sell your vehicle for - if it is more than $500. Shelter For Life is a classified 501(c)(3) charity organization. You can check with your tax advisor or accountant to determine the amount of your benefit. The deduction is of value only if the donor itemizes his or her deductions. For a more information review the IRS Donors Guide to Car Donation.
*You MUST itemize to receive a tax deduction.
4. Will you accept car donations with an engine not running or with other mechanical problems?
Yes! Even 'clunkers' have some value
5. What if I don't have my title?
We can almost always pick up your car donations without a title. Call us at (763) 253-4082 to see whether we can pick up your car.
6. What happens if there's a problem with my car after it's donated?
You are responsible for the car until it is picked up. You are liable for all previous storage charges and previous fines. Once the car has been picked up we take full responsibility.
7. Will my car be junked or used for parts?
It will depends on its condition and on other variable factors. In any case, SFL will have benefited, and you'll receive your tax-deductible receipt.
8. Do I have to be home when you pick up my car?
Nope! Remove all personal belongings and leave the keys and title under the dashboard.
9. Will I get a temporary receipt at the time of the pick-up?
Yes. The towing company will provide you with a temporary receipt at the time of pick up, which will have all your car information along with our name and phone number. Please notify us once the car is towed and we will mail you the tax deductible form.
10. What do I need to know about signing my title?
Please make sure that you print and sign your name as the "Seller" EXACTLY the way it appears on the face of the title.
11. Will I incur any expense, like towing charges?
No. There is absolutely no charge.
12. What areas do you service?
We service all 50 states.
13. Who will pick up my car donation?
Shelter for Life has a network of professionally licensed, bonded and insured towing agencies that pick up car donations from our various locations. You will be contacted to arrange a time of pickup that is convenient for you, free of charge.
14. How long will it take till my car is picked up?
The average pickup time for car donations is usually 24-72 hours the time you contact us.
15. If someone passed away can the car still be donated?
Yes! We can pick up the car as long as you have a copy of the death certificate and documentation that you are the official inheritor of the deceased’s belongings.
16. Can I donate an abandoned car?
Unfortunately not; you may consider trying contacting a local junkyard to pick it up.
17. What if my car didn't pass the emission test?
Even if it failed it we'll be happy to accept it.
18. What should I do with my license plate after I donate my car?
Please remove; if not removed, we will remove and dispose them.
Shelter is more than a roof and four walls...